Sunday, April 3, 2011

Friends, Food, and Fun!

So this weekend has definitely been too short! Friday night a couple of our friends from Chicago made a stop in C-U and stayed the night with us on their way to St. Louis. I feel like we have been able to see all our Chicago friends a lot more consistently lately which has been great! We wished they could have stayed longer, but they had to leave early Saturday morning :(

That afternoon, Taylor just worked on homework and I went for a run, did laundry, and baked a Pig Cake for dinner that night! I had never heard of a Pig Cake before reading The Pioneer Woman's blog, but after I read the recipe I just had to make it! It makes a lot so since we were going over to Laine and Andrew's that evening to watch the NCAA tournament, I figured it would be perfect. I forgot to take a picture of the cake before we ate it that night, ha, so here is after...


This may be my new favorite cake! The ingredients are very simply and it is served cold. I just love cold cakes. Since I forgot to take pictures I'm just going to list the ingredients in the cake and then link to the PW's directions. Ha :)

Pig Cake Ingredients

FOR THE CAKE:
  • 1 box (18.25 Oz. Box) Yellow Cake Mix
  • 1 stick Margarine (softened)
  • 1 can (14 Oz. Can) Mandarin Oranges, Drained, 1/2 Cup Juice Reserved
  • 4 whole Eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
FOR THE TOPPING:
  • 1 package (4 Oz. Box) Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
  • 1 can (20 Oz. Can) Crushed Pineapple, Juice Reserved
  • ½ cups Powdered Sugar
  • 4 ounces, fluid Frozen Whipped Topping (such As Cool Whip)
  • Extra Mandarin Orange Slices, For Garnish
Click here for the directions! I highly recommend making this cake next time you need a dessert for a larger party :)

Saturday afternoon we headed over to Laine and Andrew's to grill burgers, brats, and watch the NCAA Tournament! Which I should note that since UConn won, my bracket is still alive and I am still in the running to win the pool at work! Taylor has already said that if I win, I have to take him golfing :)


The weather has been so nice this weekend, I just love it! We still have some cold days a couple times a week, but the nice weather keeps reminding me that summer is going to be awesome in IL!


Taylor handled the grilling, and I tried to get him to take a picture, but of course he wouldn't! This is the best I could get.... After dinner we just watched the games and of course enjoyed some yummy Pig Cake!

Today has been a very relaxing day. After church this morning, we can home and had lunch then have just been doing laundry and homework most of the day. We did make some delicious tacos tonight for dinner that I'll post the recipe for soon! Next weekend we are heading to St. Louis for our 1/2 marathon and to spend some time with Taylor's family, which we are excited about! Hope you had a nice weekend and that your week starts of well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment